So this weekend there is a Business of photographers workshop. I am going to go and at the end of this workshop there will be a portfolio review. So I have been looking through all of my photographs from as far back as I could.
This really makes you look at your images in a new light. I mean I had to weed out the images tat we more personal to me, from the images that were actually strong. Some images I really really liked were not the strongest photographs, and even though I thought they were strong, I had to realize that they were more personal to me and so to me they would seem stronger.
It also made me realize how far I had come. From my first photographic images to the ones I have just taken. I looked upon images that I once thought were really good. I looked at images that I was once beaming with pride over and now I see how crappy they really are. I realize I have come so so far from walking around with a little 6mp point and shoot camera.
I started with picking a little of everything, and even this was hard. I had many people give me their opinions on the images as a whole, and I ended up taking everything out that wasn't of people. This was a strength for me really because even though I liked some of the images I was using that were not of people, they were not as strong as my portraits. So I would have either had to cut some of my portraits out or cut the other images out and I decided to stay with the thing that I like photographing the best.
In the end I am happy with the images I picked. I think that they are all strong and that they describe me as a photographer. There is a little wedding, and little senior portrait, a little charity, a little high fashion, a little child, and a little in class work.
Also the printing of my portfolio was one of the biggest problems, after I had finally figured out which ones I would put into my portfolio. I sat for 4 hours trying to print 24 images successfully. It doesn't help that many other people kept asking me for help printing and stuff. In the end it just was so frustrating. Especially at the end when the music people started to drum above me making the whole entire room i was in sound with the horrible drumming sound created above me! I think that if I had stayed down there any longer I would have gone completely insane! I just hope that they all dry ok and that NOONE touches them!!
I will post the images I picked here and you can see that the order I even have them in is planned. It took me forever to figure out how I had wanted them to go. The order of the images is one of the biggest parts for me. I think that I am taking the viewer on a journey through My photography and I want them to flow through the images nicely not just look at them randomly placed.
To talk about each of them a little bit would take a long time so I will talk about some of them that I had a hard time deciding to put in or not. If I had to choose an image out of all of these that was the weakest I would have to choose the image of Andy walking away down a path to the right of the image, and him standing there to the left of the image. I would have to say that this image is very creative and that is the reason I want to keep this image in the portfolio, but I do with I had photoshopped it a little better. Though I am not too sure how to photoshop it any better, I just want it to blend better. I would not take this image out because I do think it is a strong body of work, and that it adds to my portfolio.
Some of the images that I was doubtful to put into this portfolio, I ended up editing and after re-editing the image I ended up liking the image a lot more. The Stritch Fastpitch image, and a couple of the fur coat images we included this group. Also I didn't want to have too many from one shoot. I only wanted to have the maximum of three from any one photo shoot. Any more than that and I'm sure that I would have not so good images ending up in my portfolio.
I think that 24 images is a good size, I would NOT have any more images than that though just because I would be using images that are not as strong as the others. In the end I am happy with my selections and I will have to see how it looks all put together, and how they like it come sunday!


















No comments:
Post a Comment