Monday, May 2, 2011

Emulation 8 Irving Penn

This is my last emulation post if you can believe it. I think I want to continue to emulate different photographers even after this semester. I think that this project has helped me to get out of my indecisive phase and really think about how I do my shoots. It helps a lot to have an idea of what I want and I like getting that shot and then knowing I am done. Not like before when I would take 4 hours only to get one good shot that I liked. Anyways, the image I used for this emulation of Irving Penn's is one of a girl with heavy eye makeup on. She is gripping her hair and has an evil look in her eyes. This is the image I was Emulating:



In the image I created I used the black background I have been using with every image I created in this series. I like the unification of them all. Also I used the one high model light and I have them all in black and white. All except the first one but that one only worked in color. It must have been newer work of his unlike most of the other images I picked. Here is the image I created using the above image as a reference. I didn't have it be exact with the arms but I wanted the feeling of the image not the exact pose and focus. So here is my image:



So My image I am extremely happy with. I really like how I have the hands opposite almost and how her hands are in her hair. Also I like how her eyes look like she is going to kill you. I know the other picture has a little more helpless feeling in her eyes but I like the harshness with the harsh makeup. I think it makes her look more evil and less like a hooker. I am also pleased with how she wore a plain black shirt, it isn't distracting and almost blends in with the background but at the same time it adds a little bit to the piece. I am very happy with how my emulations have turned out, and I am hoping to continue them.

No comments:

Post a Comment